Vimphone by Vimtura Innovations is based on Linphone for Android by Belledonne Communications.
Vimphone is an open source Voice Over IP (VOIP) / SIP client for Android. The source can be downloaded at:
and contribution is welcomed. The Linphone for Android project was forked in March 2013, and so it is based on version 2.0. Which, as of this time is all of the current Linphone for Android features. Credit for the logo goes to arrioch for doing his "Blawb" icon theme from which it came (
The reason for the fork was out of all the SIP clients for Android, Linphone for Android seemed the best. However, it still included some bugs and features that we didn't like. The core features of Linphone for Android are:
- Sleek interface with support for multiple accounts.
- Support for the following audio codecs: speex, G711, ILBC, GSM, SILK, G722.
- Support for the following video codecs: VP8, H264 and mpeg4.
The improvements / enhancements made in Vimphone are (not a complete list):
- Improvements to the call answering UI, with support for specialised SIP headers (currently to display Asterisk queue details - yet to be documented).
- Fixed the in-call transfer / multi-call features.
- Added feature to pause/hold before transfer or adding another party.
- Added feature to mute DTMF when dialling number to transfer / add.
- Fixed a bug to enable switching between WIFI / 3G seamlessly (using the "re-invite" SIP feature).
- Re-skinning as "Vimphone"
- Enhanced the setup assistant.
- Added feature to disable screen auto-rotation (useful if you are laying down).
- Fixed "notifications" (integration into Android for status icons and so on). This includes utilization of the phones "lights" (LEDS) for status display. In the previous version the icon always appeared the same regardless of status (at least on my version of Android).
- Added feature to allow "exiting".
- Fixed bugs with call history display (it was almost impossible to click on the "details" icon as the target area was tiny).
- Added call interception so the standard android dialler can be used and calls can be routed via Vimphone automatically (based on various conditions).
- Probably lots more? I'll document more as I remember :)
- Feel free to bug me for feature requests, or join in if you want to help!
This project / application is free and will always be free. It may not work the best on tablets as I do not own one, if you want tablet support please consider donating one to me.